Like other countries in the EU, Ireland demands that the non EU students apply for the student visa in order to study in the country. Ireland has a student immigration process that is divided into two parts, if you are enrolling in a degree programme which is being offered by a higher education institution in the country or if you are seeking to study in an English language non degree course.

Some of the documents that you need to keep handy while applying for a visa to study in Ireland include the following –

  • An acceptance letter from a recognized institute in Ireland for a course which needs at least 15 hours of tuition in the day time.
  • Proof of the fee being paid to the institute from the applicant’s side. This includes copies of the bank statement from where the funds were transferred to the institute.
  • A certificate of a standardized English language test, such as TOEFL, Cambridge FCE or IELTS. This certificate is not needed for those applying for an English language course
  • Proof if your financial background which should be sound enough to support your stay in the country for the duration of your course. The applicant must have immediate access to a minimum of € 7,000 as bank account balance as and when required
  • A valid medical insurance, covering the health of the applicant
  • A valid passport whose validity must be at least up to 6 months from the completion of the course


The holders of a certain category of study visa in Ireland are allowed to take up part time employment. If you get a stamp number 2 on your passport while registering with the local immigration officer, it would mean that you can take up any casual employment whose duration can’t go beyond 20 hours a week during the term of your session. When the session is on a break, you can work for up to 40 hours a week. This permission to take up work is valid only as long as you have the permission to stay in the country. In case you are not taking up such a course in Ireland, you aren’t allowed to indulge in any part time work or to participate in any profession or business.

The study visa given to you can only be used to enter the country once. If you leave the country and then return, you would have a get a re – entry visa.