The US is well renowned as the mecca of higher education irrespective of your field of study. Studying in the US is a dream for millions of students from across the world, including India. In order to start your dream, you not only need to get an acceptance letter from the college, you must also be able to qualify for a US study visa.

Before you start with your study visa application, you must be aware of the college you would finally be attending in the US. You must apply to a number of colleges and then get at least one admission letter in order to get going with your study visa. Along with the acceptance letter, your college would send you the I – 20 form. This form is a statement from the college that it believes that you would be able to afford to study there. This would also have a reporting date when your session would be expected to commence.

Those who are planning to pursue the two year or four year academic courses must apply for a F –1 visa. Apart from I – 20 form, you would need a number of other documents for your visa filing. These include –

  • The DS-156 form which can be taken out from the website of the U.S. State Department,, and Form DS-158 and Form DS-157 (for males only), which can be easily collected from the local U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • A passport that is valid for at least the next six months (preferably longer).
  • The receipt of your visa fee payment.
  • You may be asked to collect and submit some other documents in order to support certain aspects of your visa application.

The other documents may include the following –

  • The academic record of the applicant till the date of application
  • Scores and copies of the results of the standardized tests taken by the applicant including SAT, TOEFL, GRE, etc.
  • All the letters of admission and financial aid awards sent to the applicant by the U.S. college.
  • A number of financial documents which include your and your family’s bank statements, all the tax related documents which clearly show your and your family’s income, and statements from any investments that you plan to use to finance you education.
  • In case you have any scholarships or financial help from other sources, documents related to the same should be submitted.
  • If the applicant or the family owns any business, then the business registration or licenses and other documents need to be submitted.
  • Also needed to be submitted is evidence that the applicant actually intends to come back to the home country after the completion of the course. This proof can include a statement from an employer that you’ll be considered for a job or have been offered a job after you complete your U.S. study. Some other evidence that can be shown here is that you own assets in your home country. You can also show that you have strong ties to your home country.